Monday, June 30, 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow?



I took this photo while on our vacation to Vancouver earlier in the month and treated it in Photoshop with the watercolour filter. I really like the result.

Now that the chicks are in their coop and appear to be settling in well, I've finally had time to turn my attention to my garden.

Last year my garden flourished, for the most part, so naturally I thought it would do as well, if not better this year given that I know more now than I did then.

We've had a very wet and cold spring and summer, so far, and my garden is - in a word - abysmal. To give you an idea, I planted 10 rows of carrots and counted a mere 10 sprouts. 

Now, while I appreciate the symmetry of that, it's demoralizing to say the least.

In fact, other than my potatoes and radishes, very little has come up in my garden other than a vigorous harvest of weeds. 

So, the past few days were spent weeding and reseeding my garden. I figure if it's too late in the season, I won't be any further behind than I already am. 

It's tough being a farmer, what can I say?


5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

This Spring kicked everybody's ass.

Jen Vandervoort said...

It's been a wet spring, what did come up for me was kicked around by the quail during their regular dust baths.

Persevere, plant more carrots, plant more peas, and potatoes. There is still time!

Jen

bobbybegood1 said...

you poor thing! i have heard about the hard times that can befall a farmer. i hope all turns out well. good luck. gorgeous pic. cheers!!

Catherine said...

I hope your garden makes it! I must say, my potted tomatoes are huge!! I hope they don't strangle each other and die. Oh well...I guess that's what Farmer's Markets are for. ;)
xo Catherine

Sharon said...

I follow a blogger/gardener in Texas who is having much the same problem - from one side of the continent to the other this year. I finally started weeding my flower beds this week and right out of the gate was attacked by poison ivy/oak(?), which I've never had a problem with in my life. I think it's going to be that kind of year~

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin