Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Day Five



All of our chicks have made it to Day Five and appear to be thriving.  We can't believe how much they've grown in such a short period of time. It's never too early to get them used to being in front of a camera, and as you can see by our model, their feathers are starting to come in on their wings. She's a natural, wouldn't you agree?

In between looking in on them and checking on their welfare, we're continuing to furiously work on the chicken coop. Will it never end..?! It's going to have to because our girls are going to want to take occupancy in a few short weeks.

I finally made some time to weed my garden yesterday. The weeds were getting so bad, my seeds were either going to get choked out or I was going to destroy them with my hand trowel. Something had to be done, so I took the chance. I sent up a silent prayer that my garden would grow well, in spite of me.

I'm sad to report that Barney, the Barn Cat, has worn out his welcome. He attacked our Luna last week and roughed her up pretty badly. She had a pronounced limp for a couple of days but after spending a whole day and a night resting on a heating pad, she started to recover and she's back to normal now. I had been weaning Barney off regular feedings, so I stopped that altogether and we closed the door to the shed where we'd been keeping him warm during the winter. I haven't seen him since, but I'm sure he's still ranging around here somewhere. We make sure Willow is outside with Luna now, just as an added precaution.

I'll make the rounds to all your blogs when I get some semblance of a routine back in place. In the meantime, I'll share photos and updates on the girls periodically.



7 comments:

Catherine said...

I look forward to meeting all your 'babies' on Friday Carolynn! So fun! I'm glad Luna is OK. I guess Barney will have to fend for himself. Much easier during the summer and hopefully he will find a new winter home.

See you soon!

xo Catherine

Lin said...

Sheesh...that's the thanks you get for taking nice care of him. :( Hope Luna is okay today.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Catherine: Looking forward to it, too!

Lin: I can understand why Barney would be territorial, particularly if he's had to struggle on his own for any length of time. It is too bad though. We would have welcomed him with open arms. :o(

altadenahiker said...

I think that's the most sensible and compassionate way to handle the Barney situation. The weather is warm so he has the opportunity to find a new place.

Eileen said...

Poor Luna, glad to hear she's healing. Perhaps Barney needs to relocated to a farm where there are no other cats?

Hopefully he doesn't disturb the chicks when they move to the coop! Good luck.

Sharon said...

Relieved to hear Luna is on the mend. Feral animals do what they need to do to survive, and we do what we need to do to protect our own. You gave Barney a place to stay when he needed it, and now he can move on.

S. Etole said...

What a pose!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin