Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Coop Construction Continues



Construction continues apace on the Prairie Farm Chicken Home for Unwed Mothers. The house you see in the background is our neighbour. Way too close for comfort, but that's the way it goes.

We're using half of this old grain shed as a chicken coop and half as storage for tools and feed. There's still a lot of work to be done before it's ready for occupation and it's all beginning to fall nicely into place.


The Frenchman installed two brand new windows on the 'back' of the building that open so there will be lots of natural light and extra ventilation during the warmer summer months.  Two air vets were also added on the north and side walls. The chicken door you see there has been sealed up. A new one was created that will give the girls access to the chicken run that will be constructed along one side and off the front.


The nesting boxes have been completed and are ready for a coat of paint and some pretty curtains. The wires you see hanging all over the place are there to provide temporary light for The Frenchman while he's working. They won't be staying.


Willow has inspected and approved the roost placement. A vintage door will be occupying that spot before long.

The pressure's on to complete everything. Our chicks arrive on May 30th and will spend some time in the house before moving into their permanent quarters approximately 6 weeks after that.

17 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Pretty snazzy coop! The girls will love it, I'm sure.

Grace said...

You're going to keep chickens in your house? Okaaay...

12Paws said...

I.Love.it. If I was a bit younger, I would runaway & live with you! That old building is just wonderful.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Debra: I'm thinking of repurposing it as a guest house, if the need arises. ;o)

Grace: We'll be keeping the chicks in a brooder inside until they're old enough to move outside.

12Paws: See my reply to Debra above. ;o)

altadenahiker said...

Very impressive, might be one of the swankest I've seen, and I love the name.

Gillian Olson said...

I wonder what Willow will think of the chickens? Great looking coop!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Karin: I'm thinking of having a sign made. ;o)

Gillian: I'm hoping that our bird crazy dog will recognize the hens are family members who belong here. *fingers crossed* I'm more concerned about Barney, our feral cat, and the fox who hangs out here.

Bobbybegood1 said...

Willow might be looking like everything is "all good" with everything, but I'm wondering how she really is going to react when them chicks get home. And what about your cat? I guess we will have to stay tuned, eh? Pretty building. Cheers!!

Lin said...

WOW! Them is some fancy digs for the chicks! I can't wait to see them in it.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Bobby: Willow and our cat, Luna, are just 2 of the predators we have in the immediate vicinity of our hens. We have fox, coyote, hawks, owls, skunk and a neighbour dog. We'll be fortifying the coop against threat, as best we can. *fingers crossed*

Lin: You and me both!

DesertHen said...

When you build your run, bury the chicken wire in the ground up to a foot or more and fold towards the outside facing away from the coop/run, then cover it well. If predators decide to dig around the run, they will dig straight down into the wire and become discouraged! This is what we did and we have coyote and fox around and we have not had any problems in the eight years we have had chickens. A little note on nest box curtains...they can harbor lice and mites, so be sure you take them down and clean regularly to avoid these issues. I love your coop! Great repurpose of an outbuilding! Happy Chickening!

Jen Vandervoort said...

So are you doing the chicken dance to get it all done. It's going to be so fine, that no feathers will be ruffled.

Love it.

Jen

Carolynn Anctil said...

DesertHen: Thank you for the tips. I'm really paranoid about mites. I know they're kind of inevitable, I just don't want an infestation.

Jen: I'm kinda feeling too pressured to dance, just yet. When the chicks arrive, there'll be some serious chicken dancing going on!

Sharon said...

Love the new digs! You have made amazing progress in a short amount of time. I wish the guinea hens who lived down the road had such a nice place to call home - then they wouldn't need to hang out in the road~

Deborah Carr said...

How exciting! I would love to have chickens...it is a lovely building with lots of character. I am sure when the girls move in, there will be some extraordinary photo ops (and great eggs, too!).

Catherine said...

Goodness. Those little chicks will think they are living in a palace!!

Looking forward to meeting them and seeing you lovely coop in person!

xo Catherine

Carolynn Anctil said...

Sharon: The Frenchman has been working incredibly hard to get the coop ready. I really had no idea it would be so much work. :o/

Deborah: It's been a dream of mine to have chickens for a while, too. As for photos, I think you're all gonna get sick of seeing my girls. ;o)

Catherine: Only 4 more sleeps!!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin