Wednesday, January 01, 2014

My Final Answer!



Okay, this is embarrassing...

...only 8 hours into 2014 and I already felt compelled to change my Word.


Gentle

: not rough or severe, kind, mild

Thinking back, it's the one I really wanted but didn't feel I deserved to have.

It came to me quietly and I didn't really notice it because it wasn't pushy or insistent like I thought my word should be.  Instead, it softly, politely suggested itself to me and although I felt a longing at my core, I couldn't see it sitting in the room with me, patiently waiting to be acknowledged.

You probably sensed that I had really been dreading the start of a new year.  Both of the words that I seemed destined to carry - persevere and onward - seemed to have a lot of "shoulds" attached to them.   They felt like itchy wool sweaters when I put them on.  They fit, but they didn't feel very good.

January 1st arrived and my all-pervading desire was to greet the new year...gently.

I wanted to linger in the day and savour the solemnity of the occasion.  This word, Gentle, kept asserting itself in my mind and coming out of my mouth in my morning conversations with my husband.

Before I had even formally acknowledged it, Gentle had gracefully moved in and assumed her rightful place as my official guiding light for the year.  Once again - custom fit, not objectively chosen.

In the moment that I finally recognized My Word for 2014, I experienced a profound sense of peace and gratitude. 

I know my word choice doesn't mean that I won't suffer setbacks or challenges in the coming year, nor does it mean that I plan to sit on my tuckus and listen to chanting monks all day long.  It does mean, however, that for the first time, I feel like 2014 is going to be a good year.

...and that's my final answer.  *grin*


"I have spread my dreams under your feet:
Tread softly..."  Yeats


Previous Annual Words:
2013 - Courage
2012 - Flow
2011 - Wellness

14 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

How about "gently onward"? Best of both worlds, LOL!

Nancy Claeys said...

... Indian Giver! Lol.

PS -- I don't think anyone will remember this in a few days anyway, so feel free change again... I might! :)

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams said...

It's the perfect word, well meaning, thoughtful, but still courageous...all of which you are.

[I'm still smitten with "flakey" though...] Hmmm...snort

Jen

the7msn said...

"Tread lightly." Walter White, season 5, episode 9.

Wishing you a gentle new year.

Catherine said...

I think it's OK to change something that just isn't feeling right. Gently it is.

Hope you are keeping warm dear friend!
xo Catherine

Annette Mickelson said...

Excellent word! (I'm envious)

JaneK said...

Awwwww... You are such a dear.... Love it :-)

And I'd like to say that I showed this picture to my sister ,who is a good photographer, and she gasped and said and I quote: oh my, this is a picture. Now this is perfection :-)

Love you and love your word.... I might take onward if you are not going to use it then b/c Lordy Lordy I need to move onward....

Sharon said...

"Gentle" can play a part in everything the year holds. It has been interesting to watch as your "net" has been spread ever wider ~

Carolynn Anctil said...

Debra: That's not bad, actually. *smile*

Nancy: You're quite right!

Jen: Well, I think that one's more of a character flaw than an Annual Word. *wink* I like to think it's part of my charm.

Linda: Oh, I can only imagine... *grin*

Catherine: It was there the whole time. Interesting how it all unfolds.

Annette: You'll rock your word this year!

Jane: If the word fits, by all means, use it. *smile* Thank you & your sister for the generous words of support! xoxo

Sharon: I think so too. I've enjoyed being a witness to your journey, too.

C-ingspots said...

I like it. A lot.

Caroline said...

Oh yes…beautiful!

Christina said...

I've been exploring and reading your blog for the last hour. It always gives me such a lift. I know Teddy's death was a shock and I know it still hurts.

I wish you much success and joy in 2014.

Stephanie said...

Gentle, I like that word. I believe more happens with gentle-ing life and one's self than with force.

TheChieftess said...

What an interesting concept to choose a word for the year...and I like your choice! While I've not ever thought of a word for a year...I have to mention that when I was thinking about my New Year's post and the concept of New Year's Resolutions, I felt the tug of "Gentle"...I resisted hard and fast resolutions...and opted for conceptual thoughts about the future...a much gentler approach, don't you think?

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin