Wednesday, January 01, 2014

A New Year. A New Word.



After much wrangling and thrashing about, I finally selected the word that will guide me for the next 365 days.

As many of you know, this word presented itself to me at the 11th hour.  I already had a word.  It didn't thrill me, but it just wouldn't go away.  I had a blog post written about it and everything.

"Once you learn how to do something, move on.  The most dangerous position in any creative act is certainty: that's the moment we stop learning.  One should constantly be the beginner."  
Rob McLennan, Writer.

Then, a new word appeared and, with no small measure of relief, I knew - this was the right one.

It carries with it the kind of support I feel I need this year.  I don't need to be pushed to break new ground, I need to be gentled forward and encouraged.  

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth:
Not going all the way, and not starting."  Buddha

In the 4 years that I've selected a word to act as a beacon to guide my steps for an entire year, I've noticed that I don't seem to have much choice in the matter.  The word presents itself in a number of different ways and, in the end, I simply must respond to its siren call.  It was different this year and that may be why I got stuck. 

In 2013, my word was Courage.  It felt scary because the word implies a good degree of fear will have to be faced and yet, muscled through regardless.  I dallied with the word for a good portion of my year, although it still showed up in smallish ways.


"The magic recipe to living out your boldest dreams:
A pinch of delusion, a dash of audacity, 
and a shot of courage."  Kirsty Spraggton  

My real act of courage, the one that I'd been so assiduously avoiding, was to approach total strangers and ask for their support in marketing my work, specifically, a line of greetings cards that I've produced.  Much to my delight (and relief) I was well received and they committed to trialing a sample.  

But, I can't stop there.


"Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

 That's where my new word for 2014 comes in.


Onward

: to or toward what is ahead in space or time.
: moving toward the future or toward a more advanced state or condition.

To qualify as My Annual Word, it must touch on all areas of my life - Financial, Physical, Spiritual, Emotional, Relational. This word applies to them all - as did persevere, it should be noted.  This word, however, feels kinder and gentler, with a touch of grace.


"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act,
but a habit."  Aristotle

"Onward" still requires a healthy dose of courage. In fact, every single word I've chosen in the past, continues to have merit and value in my daily life, although they no longer take centre stage.


"Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were 
to success when they gave up."
Thomas Edison

What's your word for 2014?  I'd love to know!

10 comments:

Nancy Claeys said...

Great word Carolynn! I know what you mean about the word choosing you. Happened to me too. :) xo

Catherine said...

Oh that's a terrific word! Yup - one must carry on forward and keep trying. Onward. I like it!
Wishing you a most wonderful New Year my friend!
xo Catherine

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, "onward" has a much jollier feel than "persevere," which has a kind of grim determination about it. Happy New Year!

Caroline said...

I love his word of yours...oh it will be good. Onward feels positive and yes you will be challenged. My word is love...as much as it's lovely I am certain that I will find myself challenged too. But it will be good. Here's to a wonderful new beginning for us both! Xoxo

JaneK said...

Excellent and so positive! Reminds me of one of my favorite hymns.
I want a word.... But my brain can't seem to make it happen....
Happy New Year!

Grace said...

Much better than persevere - which sounds so dire, like life is a slog to get through.

Onward - always a positive thought.

Sharon said...

I like it! "Onward" has a positive tone.

When I read your first post about a word for 2014, a word started following me around. Like persevere, this word had a harsh edge that took me aback. Yet it stayed with me, even though I was hesitant to claim "detach," it kept coming to mind. So today I went through my Angel Cards to see if another word fit as well. And don't you know? Another word jumped front and center - the meaning is much the same but the tone is so much more fitting for the coming year. My word for 2014 is "release." Let's see what opens up when I put intention behind it ~

altadenahiker said...

Oh, that's funny. As an alternative to persevere, I immediately thought of onward and upward.

Annette Mickelson said...

Onward is great word. Unfortunately for me, persevere chose me and wouldn't go away. grrrrr. I wrote my post about it and posted it; no eleventh hour rescue for me. :)

seule771 said...

Hello,
It is often nice to stumble unto a new blog. I found of you while viewing my blog read list and suggested on the right side handle was a listing of what I might like. So I viewed your blog. I like that you have managed to select a new word each year as theme for moving forward: Onward is for you with gentleness easing into the New Year. I think my word is Perspective as my is always tainted since I refuse to adhere or change. Or I change my mind too often. I like your blog today and the next I may not like something written since I would take it the wrong way. Not that you did anything wrong but seemingly so to me. Happy New Year and ease always forward; as for myself, I seem stuck in having looked back and cannot get pass or by and by. So bye for now and perhaps tomorrow then.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin