Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Courageous Year That Was



Today is the last day of 2013.

Imagine that.

In retrospect, 2013 was a pretty good year for me.

-  My husband and I bought our new 100 year old home in January on 5.5 acres surrounded by farmers' fields.  Our dream to leave the city and move into the country was realized.

- I learned how to tend bees.  I haven't given up on getting my own hives, it's just become fairly evident that's its a more expensive endeavour than I'd realized, at first.  All in good time.

- I created a studio space for myself that feels nurturing.

- I planted a garden and watched it grow.  My first ever.

- We installed a gas fireplace just days before the first snowfall of the season and the temperatures plummeted.  Timing is everything!

- I got my Etsy store up and running and have enjoyed some small measure of success.  

- I developed a line of greeting cards and my work is now available to purchase at the regional hospital gift shop.

Naturally, there were also a few setbacks and losses, this past year, too.

- I experienced a deep sense of homesickness in the first few months after my move to the prairies from the west coast.

- I got my car stuck in a snowdrift and had to be rescued by the very farmer I'd driven out to offer assistance to.  One word: Embarrassing.  

- and, of course, the harshest loss of all, our kitten Teddy Pinkleton.

My word for 2013 was Courage.  I don't feel that I really did it justice.  I did do my best. 

I thought my new word for 2014 was going to be Persevere .  There was a heaviness associated with this word that I just couldn't shake, a sense of foreboding that seemed to promise a year of struggle and difficulty.  I tried on several different words and kept coming back to that one.  Nevertheless, as right as it felt, there was too much that was wrong with it for me to commit to carrying it for an entire year.

I believe I've found an alternate word that has a similar intent and yet, suggests a lighter, more uplifting mood, more in keeping with my truest self.  More on that tomorrow, my lovelies.

For now, let me leave you with this final thought as we bid farewell to 2013 and welcome a new day, all bright and shiny and full of promise.


"Hope
Smiles from the threshold of the year to come,
Whispering 'it will be happier'..."

Alfred Tennyson

9 comments:

S. Etole said...

What an uplifting thought you left us with. Hope your New Year is doubly blessed.

Nancy Claeys said...

Hope is a great word for so many reasons. I think I've settled on "Intentional" for 2014 -- my post tomorrow will explain.

Happy New Years my friend. It has been a pleasure to get to know you this past year. xo

Sharon said...

You had quite the year, Carolynn. I think you show courage when you have a year like that.

To your quote I say, "Yes, please."

Happy New Year, my friend ~

Lin said...

I admire your courage to move away from what you know--I'd like to do that....but am afraid....

Wishing you a very Happy New Year ahead. I look forward to reading about your adventures!

C-ingspots said...

Except for your tragic loss of the adorable Teddy P., it has been a pretty amazing year in all, I'd say. The incident with the snow drift is just amusing, maybe humbling...but too funny not to chuckle at. :)
Your intentions were pure my friend.
I agree about persevere. Totally seems dark and foreboding, as if you'd barely survive everything you're going to encounter. Don't like it, at all. I've never picked a word before, but this year I'm feeling the insistent need to do just that. And ironically, the word that keeps rolling around in my head, is courage. For so many reasons, I'm thinking this might be the word for me. Courage, faith, trust...those words I'm thinking will all be important for me in 2014. Can't wait to hear your choice!! Happy New Year my friend!! Cheers to the Horse!!

TheChieftess said...

A lovely post...
Happy New Year Carolynn!!!

DesertHen said...

I love the quote!

I still don't have a word for 2014. Maybe one will come to me at some point today or this evening.

Happy New Year to you!

Caroline said...

I think you were more courageous than you thought. The word served you well. What a year it was. Looking forward to seeing your word tomorrow. xoxo

Catherine said...

You had a lot of new experiences in 2013. I guess that's what keeps us growing huh?
Excellent post.
xo Catherine

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin