Thursday, December 06, 2012

Quirky Tip #2 - Christmas Tree 'Planting'


If you're anything like me and opt to bring a real evergreen tree into your home to serve as your Christmas Tree at this time of year, you'll be familiar with that particularly abhorrent instrument of torture - the Christmas Tree Stand.

For years, I struggled to set my tree up in that damned contraption that was always pitiably out sized, only to watch helplessly as it toppled over, time & time again, spilling water in it's path.  It had become a sick, twisted seasonal tradition in my home that was guaranteed to cause me to become progressively less merry in direct proportion to the number of times it fell over, until one year, I finally threw up my hands and cried "Uncle!".

I reasoned that my tree, being a plant and all, should be able to sit quite comfortably in a pot.   It won't miraculously take root, the glory of the season notwithstanding, but it will stand firm and (relatively) straight.

Simply fill a large garden plant container with dirt.  Dig a hole in the centre, deep enough to sink the trunk of the tree into. It'll be necessary to cozy up nice and close to your tree to fill in the hole, tamping the dirt firmly around the base of the tree to hold it firmly in place.  

Regularly water the tree at the base.  The dirt will absorb the moisture and allow the tree to draw up what it needs. It's always recommended to trim about an inch, or more, off the base of the tree before bringing it into the house.  I always sit my tree in a pot of cool water after I've trimmed it and while I prepare my pot.  

Once you have it securely 'planted' in your pot, the lower branches of the tree will rest on the rim of the container, aiding to hold it erect and prevent it from falling over, even if the dirt loosens somewhat.  

I've done this every year since on my own and it's quite manageable.  The best part?  You don't have to tip toe past your tree any more.

8 comments:

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

I no longer have a live tree but I remember all too well, the dreaded tree stand. Good solution!

Carolynn Anctil said...

Denise: I shudder every time I see one. *smile*

Sharon said...

This is a great idea. Over the years we have had more mishaps with tree stands than I care to think about. We use an LL Bean cast-iron stand now, but even that presented a problem one year when my husband added too much water. Now I am the only one who waters the tree ~

Carolynn Anctil said...

Sharon: I've never found one a model that works. This method is pretty easy-schmeasy.

altadenahiker said...

Aren't you the smartest girl in the class. The tree stand? Never again, not on my watch.

Catherine said...

That's a good idea! I miss the smell of a real tree. Mmmmm.....
xo Catherine

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Carolynn, what a great idea, thankyou for this hint.

We have been putting off getting a tree for the thought of tiptoeing around it....

Now we can be brave and find one.

Jen

Carolynn Anctil said...

Karin: Best decision you'll ever make - next to adopting a deaf dog, that is. *grin*

Catherine: I love the scent our tree is bringing into our home. I'm not ready to give up real trees, just yet.

Jen: If anyone will have a big garden pot on hand, I know you will.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin