Monday, November 19, 2012

My No-Fail Bread Recipe


There isn't much that can surpass the aroma of freshly baked bread, hot out of the oven and steaming with goodness, unless it's the knowledge that you made it yourself.

Many, many years ago, while I was still single, I lifted a recipe from my local newspaper that has proven to live up to the author's claim of "the true, one and only never-fail recipe for home-baked bread."  It's a bit of a time commitment that's well worth the effort.  


While I'd love to claim this recipe as my own, I have to give credit where it's due, so here follows Tony Eberts recipe in his own words, with my comments shown in italics and an ingredient list to follow:

Put about 7 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl, sprinkle on the yeast and mix thoroughly.



Put milk and water in a pan and heat it gently, stirring in the honey, salt and vegetable oil.



I use 100% sunflower oil for baking for its light flavour and I find that it works just as effectively as any of the other oils.

Beat up the egg and lemon juice and keep it aside.  I prefer to use the juice of real lemons, although the condensed version will work just as well.



When the stuff in the pan is close to hot - slightly uncomfortable to a clean finger - and all is dissolved, mix it into the flour.  Then add the egg and mix till it's smooth.



Stir in another couple of cups of flour, but as soon as it's manageable, dump it out on a well-floured surface and knead it vigorously, adding flour bit by bit until, after 10 minutes, it should be non-sticky and firm enough to almost keep its shape.  If you don't have flour on yourself by this point, you're not doing it right.



Wash out the big bowl, lightly grease it, form the dough into a ball, roll it over in the bowl to oil the top, and put it in the oven to rise.  Turn the oven light on to take the chill off.  I always cover my dough with a clean dishtowel, as well, to keep the surface from drying out.

When the dough is about doubled in size (40 minutes or so), punch it down and let it rise again.  



Then punch it down, cut it into four equal pieces and sort of jellyroll and pinch each one into a large sausage shape for your non-stick (or lightly oiled) bread pans. I lightly oil my non-stick pans, just to make sure.



The final rising in the pans is slower than the other two and may take well over an hour to rise well above the edges of the pans. I have barely enough room in my oven for four bread pans, so I stagger them which allows the warm air to circulate more freely and the bread cooks more evenly.



Bake it at about 400° for up to 40 minutes, when it should be golden brown on top, a little darker on the bottom.  I've found that I get better results in a 350° oven.  Tip out and cool on racks.  Makes 4 loaves.

Use a very sharp breadknife and a rapid sawing motion to pirate a slice or two while it's hot, aromatic and irresistible.

Don't ever buy bread again.

Ingredient List:

2 packets Fleischmann's yeast (no other type will do)
About 11 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 heaping Tbsps. liquid honey
4 tsps. salt
1 large egg
Dash lemon juice
2 cups 2 per cent milk
2 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Bon apetit!


For more delicious recipes visit the StoneGable

13 comments:

June said...

Well, that looks simple enough, especially since I have two jumbo size bowls and would, therefore, not have to wash one. :-p
Is there any other brand of yeast other than Fleischmann's? I swear, must be everybody on this entire continent uses Fleischmann's.

Carolynn Anctil said...

June: It's the easiest thing ever to make and it's so delicious! My bowl is jumbo enough that I don't have to tip the dough out on the countertop. I do all my kneading in it, which cuts down on some of the mess, as well.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams said...

That's one big recipe for bread, sounds delish.

I am making a sweet potato yam cinnamon roll today...new recipe so I hope it turns out good.

Your bread looks so good, do you freeze the extra.

Jen

Carolynn Anctil said...

Jen: Did you see your recipe on StoneGable? I thought I saw something similar there. Yes, I freeze the exra loaves, although, they don't last long before I have to make another batch.

C-ingspots said...

Yum!! Your bread is just beautiful...and I think I can smell it from here too. :)
My husband wants to be buried in a giant loaf of freshly-baked bread. However am I supposed to accomplish that? Just think of the smell...
oh dear.

C-ingspots said...

Yum!! Your bread is just beautiful...and I think I can smell it from here too. :)
My husband wants to be buried in a giant loaf of freshly-baked bread. However am I supposed to accomplish that? Just think of the smell...
oh dear.

Catherine said...

Hmmm....clearly you have never seen/tasted my bread. LOL! The last time I made buns Wayne used them for hockey pucks. ;)

I will totally have to try this 'no fail' bread recipe.

xo Catherine

Carolynn Anctil said...

C-ingspots: Hey! I think your husband might be onto something! *grin*

Catherine: Let me know how it goes. It really is hard to go back to the store bought bread once you've made a 'good' loaf of the homemade stuff.

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I can almost smell the aroma wafting from your photos! You're right, there's nothing like it. My mom made bread all the time when I was growing up. The only thing better than the smell is the taste of the first slice still warm with butter spread on and melted into every crevice.

Carolynn Anctil said...

Cindy: Num num num...now you're making ME hungry!

Gillian Olson said...

Sounds wonderful, I don't think there is anything better than the smell of freshly baked bread.

Sharon said...

Looks delicious. I will store the idea away for when I need a quantity of homemade bread:)

Sharon said...

Looks delicious. I will store the idea away for when I need a quantity of homemade bread:)

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin